Sunday 2 October 2011

Love to Decorate


For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved decorating! Surrounding myself with beautiful things makes me happy and the process of creating a space which is pleasing to my eye is so much fun. Over time, my scrapbook has steadily been filled with inspiring magazine clippings and notes. More recently however, my traditional scrapbook has been replaced by a ‘virtual pinboard’ thanks to the clever invention of Pinterest – such an easy, convenient way of collecting and organising pictures of things you love from the web. I totally recommend it if you haven't had a go already!

As a teacher, I have absolutely loved setting up my classroom each year. Sure, there are certain requirements and restrictions when it’s not your own home, but all those learning centres and wonderful storage solutions (yes, I’m a bit of a storage and organisation freak!) … need I say more?

My decorating style has definitely evolved over the years. For a long time, country style has been my favourite. I love the warmth of baltic-stained timber and all the whimsical folk-art accessories that compliment it so well. It wasn’t until my first baby was born that my passion for decorating children’s spaces emerged and I started experimenting with different styles. Wow – I will never forget that feeling of setting up the nursery for the first time! Still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, hehe! And who knew all that gorgeous furniture and kids’ décor existed?

Whilst I love the rest of my home to be quite traditional in style, I believe that children’s rooms allow for more creativity and colour! Reflecting on the rooms I’ve instinctively created and also looking at my Pinterest boards, it’s quite obvious that I’ve become impartial to modern, Scandinavian Design. Bright colours and bold patterns against a white or more neutral background add such a striking and fun element to kids’ spaces. Being a sentimental kind of girl, adding a hint of vintage in every room is a ‘must’! Things that remind me of the past, whether personal or not, make a space feel that bit more special and interesting to me.

Enough background information for now. Here's a sneak peak of my eldest son’s room which I plan to share tomorrow. Stay tuned for more and don't forget to click on the "Follow This Blog" widget over on the right if you would like to follow me on my journey x


No comments:

Post a Comment