Tuesday 25 October 2011

Whimsical Woodland Nursery

Our sweet baby boy, Kallan, is now three and a half months old and his little personality is really starting to shine.  He is such an alert, cuddly, smiley little boy and I just love the way he 'talks' to me in baby language when I talk to him - so gorgeous!

Although Kallan currently sleeps in a bassinet in our room, I have finished decorating his 'Whimsical Woodland Nursery' and thought it was time to share some photos.

I still liked our 'old' nursery and it would have been really easy to keep it all the same for our new baby, but when I was pregnant I felt it was time for a change.  It took me quite a while to decide to go ahead with the change though, as I had a lot of sentimental feelings about the room that I decorated for my first beautiful baby boy, Damon.

After re-reading all of my 'LittleONE Baby' and 'Shop for Kids' magazines over and over, I felt even more inspired to re-decorate the room!  I wanted to create a colourful, yet soothing space that would spark imagination whilst still encouraging sleep.  For quite some time I had been admiring the gorgeous Cocoon Couture Enchanted Tree wall sticker, so decided that it would be a great starting point!  Although I had to patiently wait and see whether to go with the pink version or the blue, I just loved the idea of having that beautiful tree on the wall as a focal point, with the gorgeous retro-inspired patterns, beautiful colours and whimsical woodland critters.  So, in my nesty pregnant state, I spent many evenings creating inspiration boards for the room - one for a girl and one for a boy.  I loved every minute of dreaming up the new designs with my favourite decor items.

When our beautiful little Kallan arrived, I was so excited to get started on his nursery.  Since I already had it fairly well-planned, it was just a matter of purchasing the items and finding some 'spare' time to get stuck into the decorating.  I hunted around (mostly online) and was pleased to find almost all of the things I needed on sale - yay!  It was such an enjoyable little project.  So, here is the colourful, whimsical space I have created for our little man ...




Above is the beautiful Cocoon Couture Enchanted Tree wall sticker which was the inspiration for his Whimsical Woodland Nursery.  I didn't actually intend to base the room around a 'theme', but once I decided on the tree sticker, it seemed like such a fun idea and a way to create a cohesive space.


The little red suitcases are for Kallan's keepsakes and the cute mushroom light creates a lovely glow in the room.  I was going to get hubby to make a little birdhouse, but in the meantime I found a little house-shaped money box in a thrift shop for one dollar, so I painted it up and made it into a birdhouse.  The gorgeous apple music box actually belonged to one of my siblings as a baby and is still in fantastic working condition!


Earlier on I had envisaged modern, birch-coloured timber furniture in the new room, but since we already had a lovely teak-coloured cot and change table (and a bedside table that matched from our old guest room), I really couldn't justify buying new furniture.  I'm now pleased with the decision to re-use it all and the end result.  I've filed away the other ideas for his 'big boy' room later on, hehe!




The single bed was generously given to us from one of hubby's friends!  I didn't plan to have it in the room, but it matched so well and we thought it would be really handy for guests and for those nights when bub needs some assistance with his sleeping!  The bedding on the single bed (and pillowcase in the cot) is the 'Geo' design from Habitat Baby - I just love the pattern (and the one on the reverse) and feel it compliments the retro-inspired graphics in the tree.  The lovely woodland quilt on the end of the bed was a baby gift from my sister - the colours match beautifully!  For the cot bedding, I chose an embroidered duck-egg blue quilt by Seedling.  The colourful bunting across the curtains is made by the same company.  In his cot sits a Sleep Sheep (which was Damon's) and some of the cute toys Kallan received as baby gifts.

The gorgeous owl and rabbit on the change table were gifts from my sister and the Badger Baby Balm was from my mum.  I'm really pleased with the wire-mesh baskets that fit neatly on the change table shelves - they are actually DVD storage baskets!  I was eyeing them off in Target and was rather impressed when I went in to buy them and found they were on clearance for $5 each!  The lovely wall art above the change table is from Cocoon Couture, as is the owl bean bag.


We needed some shelving for some of Kallan's treasures and things, so I chose a Ribba Picture Ledge from Ikea - I love it and think I'll get some more for the other rooms!  I painted the 'K' and made the birth print using ideas from others I'd seen in magazines and on the internet.  The Bath Time book was mine as a child and I adore the illustrations ... think I'll have to write more about that gorgeous little book in another post!  It's a bit tricky to see in the photo, but the little matchbox 'toy' was made by Damon for his baby brother - so special and Damon is very proud to have it displayed on the shelf!


Hubby and I found a great table and set of chairs at a garage sale - $15 for the lot!  I decided to paint one of the chairs blue for the nursery!  I've never actually fed the kids in the nursery, hence the lack of a nursing chair in the room, but it's always handy to have a chair for bedtime stories!  The little foxy wall sticker came with the Enchanted Tree.


Kallan already loves his colourful, wooden baby gym (from Ikea) and his wooden rattles.  I think the Brio wooden hedgehog push-along toy is so adorable and hope he loves it too when he gets a bit older!  The great basket (which came in a set from a discount store, believe it or not!) holds some of the gorgeous soft toys that were given to Kallan as baby gifts.


How cute is the fox musical toy from Ikea?  Just right for the woodland scene!  The blue and white crocheted blanket was a lucky find in a box of clothing given to us from a lovely family we met in hospital when our first baby was born!

So there it is, all ready for bub to move in!  We now just need to put up the wooden name that hubby and I have made - I will post a picture of that later on.  Hope you've enjoyed the photos and the story about all the details.  To me, it's often the little details that make a space all the more special and meaningful.


VIBE:  Colourful and Whimsical with a hint of Retro

SOURCE INFO:
Cot & Change table - Gro Years
Enchanted Tree Wall Sticker - Cocoon Couture
Bean Bag & Wall Art - Cocoon Couture
Single Bed Bedding - Habitat Baby 'Geo' (double)
Cot Quilt & Bunting - Seedling
Round Floor Rug - Fantastic Furniture
Change Table Baskets - Target
Baby Gym & Musical Fox Toy - Ikea
Wooden Toys - Bajo, Brio, etc.
Canvas on Wall - Urban Nest
Wall Shelf - Ikea 'Ribba'
Fox Cushion & Orange Owl Cushion - Hiccups Baby
Woodland Comforter, Blue owl Cushion, Soft Toys - Gifts
Toy Basket - Sam's Warehouse
Suitcase Set - Little YoYo Styles
Birth Print - DIY using inspiration from the web
Mushroom Light - Ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment