Monday 10 October 2011

Back Home

I've just had such a lovely weekend back in my hometown at the local races!  It was a big day for the boys, but they handled it really well.  My hubby and I thought we were in for a long day when the boys started asking "Are we were there yet?" only five minutes into the hour and a half trip!  However, once we arrived and they spotted the play equipment, all was fine.

I didn't actually watch much of the horse racing, but spent most of the time catching up with family and old friends.  The weather was fantastic and, as always, there was a huge crowd for such a little town.  I always get such a sense of belonging and pride when I go back there - and funnily enough, still refer to it as 'going home'.  In some way, this reminds me a little bit of an old favourite book of mine - 'The Best Nest' by P. D. Eastman.  I loved this book as a child and was so pleased when my mum recently allowed me to take home our old copy for the boys.  Basically, the point of the story is summed up at the end when Mother Bird declares, "There's no nest like an old nest ...".  In analogy, I really love where I live now and I'm certainly not looking for a new place to live, but do feel that there is no place quite like my old hometown - the place I grew up in and made so many happy memories.

Aside from this, 'The Best Nest' is a great book to read to the kids.  My boys love it!  It's nice to have our original copy of the book too - I wonder if it will become a household favourite like another of P. D. Eastman's books, 'Are You My Mother?' When he was three, Damon loved that story so much that he memorised it!  It was so fascinating to hear him retell the whole story, word for word, all from memory!

Happy Reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment