Sunday 20 November 2011

Bookstand Revamp

Remember that little old bookstand I mentioned in an earlier post - the one my lovely hubby rescued from his work?  Well, it has now been cleaned and spray-painted (hubby ended up doing the painting late at night, with some paint he found in his shed) and it now sits in Rowan's bedroom, holding a selection of books in his little reading nook!  I'm really pleased with the finished project.



The books in the bookstand are mostly old Australian school readers from the 1970s.  I just love them!  They were actually being thrown out during the relocation of the school I was teaching at quite a few years ago, so I saved a few and am so pleased I did!  I love the simple, repetitive text and my boys seem to as well!  Check out some of the lovely, colourful, 70s style illustrations ...





My boys also really like the book, 'Little Owl Leaves the Nest'.  It was a lucky find in a thrift shop and, as well as having lovely illustrations, has flaps to lift and two different endings - almost like a simple, kids' version of those 'pick-a-path' books I used to read as a teenager, hehe.  What fun!


What makes this simple little project even more satisfying, is the fact that every time I go into Rowan's room, several of the books are scattered on the mat in his reading nook - so I know he is enjoying them!

No comments:

Post a Comment