Thursday 29 September 2011

Doggie's Birthday


The kids are now asleep (well, for the moment anyway), housework is done (I like to have a tidy house before going to bed), so now for a cuppa and some 'me time'.  I'm thinking it's going to be a little challenging to find blogging time with these very busy boys and young baby - I wouldn't dare attempt to sit at the computer during the day, but will do my best to update it when the boys are sleeping.

So, apparently it was 'Doggie's' birthday today!  I'm not talking about our 'real' dog, Jovi, but referring to my four year old's favourite toy dog (you know, the sort that gets carted around absolutely everywhere and is almost impossible to sneak into the washing machine unnoticed!).  Well, we had to celebrate Doggie's birthday so of course we needed a birthday cake.

The boys love helping me to bake.  They decided on a chocolate cake from my hand-typed book of favourite recipes and my four year old picked out the design he wanted from the good old Women's Weekly Birthday Cake Book - yep, that classic book of fantastic birthday cakes my Mum had when I was a kid.  What fun it was to pick out the cake we wanted each year!  I love that I now get to make and decorate all sorts of weird and wonderful cakes for my kids' birthdays too - lots of fun!

The cake-making went pretty smoothly today - only one egg missed the bowl and half a cup of milk was spilt all over the floor!  Regardless of the mess, it ended up being a really delicious cake!  The boys had a ball decorating it as a clock (similar to the Hickery Dickery Dock cake in the book), although I think my two year old scoffed more of the Smarties than he actually put on the cake, hehe.

When Daddy arrived home, we did the whole 'candle and singing Happy Birthday to Doggie' thing.  My boys are still learning how to blow out candles, so it took them a while but it really was just too cute!  My hubby lit the candle several times, just so we could chuckle at them trying to blow it out! We all then sat down to eat some cake - well the boys really only wanted the icing!

Apparently Doggie enjoyed his birthday :)


Icing Doggie's Cake


 Blowing out the candle


Hooray!  I did it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment